Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Something Old

At my wedding, I will have the honor of wearing my Granny's "Children's Ring" as my something old. This ring was a gift from her kids - all NINE of them - and it was something she wore everyday. The gold ring has a birthstone from each of her kids on it and is really pretty.


Because we lived in the same town, I had the privilege of visiting Granny just about every day when I was in high school, and close to that when I was younger. In between classes at high school and Blinn (college), I had about an hour break, and I would go over and eat lunch with her. We would talk about what it was like in "the good ole' days", what my mom and other aunts and uncles where like when they were growing up, and everything else under the sun. I am incredibly thankful that I had the opportunity to spend so much time with her during her last years.

Today, I am constantly reminded of my Granny. I have taken many of her hobbies as my own (gardening, sewing, having chickens, etc.) and while I do not even have a smidgen of her skill level, its nice to hold onto our connection.

My Granny passed away when I was a senior in high school and it was incredibly difficult to deal with. Since her passing, each of the women in the Borchgardt family that have gotten married have included Granny's ring as their something old. I will be honored to continue this tradition on my wedding day, holding this physical piece of my Granny with me me, all the while knowing that that our connection goes beyond a ring.

1 comment:

  1. That made me tear up, I am so excited for your big day!

    ReplyDelete