Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Stained Glass Project


A while back I had the brilliant idea that I should be able to make a faux stained glass that I could hang in my window and possibly use in some of the windows at the wedding. I did some searches for ways to do this and everything I found required baking, special paint, and frankly lots more work that I was interested in doing. I like projects to be cheap and easy. That being said, I also like my projects to look expensive and not like projects. I decided the faux stained glass windows were not in my immediate future and forgot about the project.

Then I stumbled upon Suzy's Sitcom thanks to my favorite thrifty/crafty blog ever, All Things Thrifty. At Suzy's Sitcom she made faux stained glass windows, with regular elmers glue, clear elmers glue, black craft paint, colorful craft paint, a sharpie and an old picture frame with glass. In essence, these are all materials that qualify for a good, cheap project for me... As long as it was easy.

I painted two glasses, each with a "W" as the center image (first letter of my future last name). I think these turned out ok but but be way better if I had more patience, chose my color scheme more selectively, and put on the coats of paint more thick evenly. Also, the individual color blocks should have been bigger. It took forever trying to paint all the tiny shapes.

Again mine did not turn out great and will not make an appearance at the wedding but I do think its nice in my window.

Anyway, I think this is a fun project - check out Suzy's Sitcom for step by step directions.

3 comments:

  1. I think you did a fabulous job!! If it is alright with you, I will feature this project at the end of the month in my monthly wrap-up post.

    I love the colors!

    suzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzy - OMG, plese do! This was such a fun project, thank you for the inspiration! I absolutely adore your blog!

    ReplyDelete