Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Yum-O Dinner


I found a recipe for Salsa Fiesta Chicken on the back of a sample Bisquick package last week and Joe and I LOVED it.  If you have not tried you you should!   It was super easy, tasted great and didn't require a bunch of stuff that I did not already have in the house.  I highly recommend this for anyone looking to mix up the usual taco night.



A couple notes - this says its feeds 6... I think its more like 4. Also, I used 1lb of ground beef that I seasoned with a pack of taco seasoning.  I only used about 2/3 of the meat once I mixed in the salsa.  Also, I added about 1/3 a package for frozen corn kernels (the cheap $0.88 packs from Kroger) to add some nutrients to the meal.  I added these when I stirred in the salsa.  

Next time I want to try adding a small can of black beans and I will probably double the recipe so we have lots of leftovers on hand for the week.  It was THAT good!  I am pretty sure you can add whatever you have on hand and it would be tasty.

INGREDIENTS:

2/3 cup bisquick mix or baking mix
2 tablespoons water
egg
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup thick and chunky salsa

PREPARATION:

Heat oven to 400. Spray 8 or 9" square pan. Stir together baking mix, water and egg. Spread in pan; sprinkle with 1 1/4 c. of the cheese. 

Cook and stir chicken in oil over medium-high heat until outside turns white; drain. Stir in salsa, heat until hot. Spoon over batter in pan to within 1/2" of the edges. 

Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until edges are dark golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 1 to 3 minutes longer or until cheese melts; loosen from sides of pan.


What are your favorite recipes that change up a old favorite?  Please share, I need some inspiration!

1 comment:

  1. I love how one of the labels on this post is .yummy". (and yes, I've been noticing the labels---quite the blogger aren't you! will totally copy that, but most all of labels will be: child, kid, drive me crazy, etc...

    So all that to say---I am going to make this for dinner wednesday night! Its already on the weekly meal plan so no turning back! cant wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete